Friday, May 04, 2012

A New Irving on Deck...

Let's see -- what am I up to lately?
Well -- last night I finally had a good sleep, but only because I resorted to these pills you see at the bottom of this blog.
Sleep-Eze©.
I do indeed endorse them, if you are having problems getting some zzz's.
It's like horse-tranquilizer, but for humans.
In book news, well, I am still immersed in this terrific novel by Jonathan Franzen, The Corrections -- really enjoying it. The guy can write, there is no doubt.
Just today I heard that John Irving has a new novel, to be released on May 8th.
I'm excited about this. I have a lot of faith in the work of John Irving. He's an author that has occasionally disappointed me here and there, but overall, an author I like to like -- and someone I trust.
This new one is entitled In One Person.
Here is an Amazon blurb about it:
A compelling novel of desire, secrecy, and sexual identity, In One Person is a story of unfulfilled love—tormented, funny, and affecting—and an impassioned embrace of our sexual differences. Billy, the bisexual narrator and main character of In One Person, tells the tragicomic story (lasting more than half a century) of his life as a “sexual suspect,” a phrase first used by John Irving in 1978 in his landmark novel of “terminal cases,” The World According to Garp.
His most political novel since The Cider House Rules and A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving’s In One Person is a poignant tribute to Billy’s friends and lovers—a theatrical cast of characters who defy category and convention. Not least, In One Person is an intimate and unforgettable portrait of the solitariness of a bisexual man who is dedicated to making himself “worthwhile.”
Sounds interesting.
John Irving is one of those rare authors I would pay hardcover price for. In the realm of Margaret Atwood, Ian McEwan….. Shakespeare.
[Hey….. no need to be sarcastic, Cipriano!]
Right!
Please disregard anything else I say tonight. I just dropped a Friday-night Sleep-Eze!

2 comments:

Beth said...

In One Person is already on my Wish List.

Don’t get addicted to Sleep-eze!

Sverige said...

In One Person is about a young sexual man who is biSexual and falls in love with an older transgender woman (meaning she has nuts to harvest too). Miss Frost is a librarian at a Vermont public library. The main character is the biSexual guy who likes it both ways. There are two heshe's that are the heroes of this novel. Not like the Avengers hero's but more like transgendered hero's that are there for biSexual men that want it both ways.

Most of us don't ever act on our earliest sexual imaginings. I do. I was at my grandparents house in Ogden Utah and began to masturbate. I had for the first time in my life the big "O" (not sure if I can type orgasm here on this website). I laid there after the big "O" and thought that I had invented something for the world to experience. Me, little Erica Phillipson would go to see doctors and scientists to show them what I discovered, right there in my grandparents house so that the billions of people in the world could also have the big "O"'s over and over again. Little did I know that everyone has big "O"'s. Even serious looking John Irving.